On this page:
The Athletic Training Program has several research projects underway this year. After nine projects completed last year under the supervision of Dr. Scott L. Bruce (Assistant Professor/Director of Research) there are 11 projects being done this academic year. Three of the projects are examining different aspects of sports-related concussions: 1. Comparison of Concussion Rate and Severity between Football Teams Wearing or not Wearing the Guardian Cap; 2. Comparing Concussion Rates and Severity Based on Virginia Tech Helmet Rating System; 3. Relationship between Football Helmet Fit and Concussion Rates and Severity. The new Dynavision unit purchased over the summer will be used in two studies: 4. Effects of Fatigue upon Dynavision Performance; 5. Comparison of Training on Dynavision with ImPACT Performance. A second ImPACT neurocognitive test battery study will be examining the Reliability of ImPACT under Varied Conditions. There are two different studies making comparisons: 7. Functional Movement Screening Assessment Comparing Assessor Ratings from Three Different Skill Levels; 8. Comparison of Kinesio Tape, Rock Tape and a Sham Tape for Shoulder Function. The final three studies examines (9.) the Rate of Stress and Sleep Quality and its Effect upon Injuries/Illness Incidence and Recovery, use of improper nomenclature regarding (10.) “Trainer” vs. “Athletic Trainer” in the Media: Occurrence Rate and Change Agents, and the final study is a continuation of a project done last year entitled (11.) Intramural Sport Injury Rates. Becky Bower, Athletic Training Program Director and Siobhan Fagan, Clinical Coordinator, will aid Dr. Bruce in the supervision of several of these research projects.
Athletic Training Students Well-Represented at Celebration of Research
The Athletic Training program had 8 research posters presented (7 from athletic training students and 1 from a graduate athletic trainer who is presenting as part of her degree requirements for Sports Management), at the Research Celebration day on April 10th. The following posters were presented:
- Afsarifard, Leah; Whip, Miranda; Bruce, Scott L. Clinical Prediction Model – Association between ImPACT Scores vs. Incidence of Injury. Wright State University, Dayton, OH
- Briggerman, Charles J.; Hibberd, Zachary; Bruce, Scott L. Injury Rate in Intramural Sports. Wright State University, Dayton, OH
- Chambers, Aziza, Walker-Gundolff, Bianca; Beasley, Kyle; Bruce, Scott L. Comparison of Athletic Training Room Facilities and it Relationship to the Percent of Athletes Injured.
- Eshbaugh, Jordan T.; Swartz, Kevin; Bruce, Scott L. Comparison of 3 Balance systems: BESS/Sway Balance/Biodex Balance System.
- Gustin, Megan; Schnippel, Erin; Bruce, Scott L. Clinical Prediction Model – Association of Biodex Balance System vs. Incidence of Injury.
- Herbst, Heather; Schroeder, Kristen; Fritz, Rachel; Bruce, Scott L. Quality and Quantity of ATEP Faculty Scholarship.
- Rush, Jared; Torres, Megan; Lipscomb, Kyle; Bruce, Scott L. Reliability of Core Resistance Tests.
- Pontius, Kendra; Bruce, Scott L. Comparison of Post-graduate Placement between UGATEP and GATP Alums.
- Hersman, B. L. (2014). Increasing student engagement in online classes. Chronicle of Kinesiology in Higher Education.
- Hersman, B. L. & Hodge, S. R. (in press). Community building in physical education: Using Adventure Education to facilitate inclusion of students with disabilities. Palaestra.
- Lorson, K., & Mitchell, S. (2014). Ohio physical education evaluation report card data 2013. Future Focus, 35(1), 23-24.
- Orlowski, M., Lorson, K., Lyon, A., & Minoughan, S. (2013). My classroom physical activity pyramid: A tool for integrating movement into the classroom. Journal for Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 84(9), 47-51.
- Pringle D. D., Edwards W. W., Palfrey T. C., & Anderson D. (2013). Physical fitness and substance use in individuals following a health promotion/rehabilitation program. Journal of Exercise Physiology.
- Pringle D. D., Edwards W. W., Palfrey T. C., & Anderson D. (2014). Physiological fitness and motor performance concerns of the previously low birth weight infant. Journal of Exercise Physiology.
- Stover, S. E., Bower, R., Chace, M. (2013). Importance of attending (online) class. National Teacher Education Journal, 6(3). (R)
- Bower, R. (2013, July). The College Bound Athletic Training Student. Presented at Premier Health Partners Student Sports Medicine Workshop, Dayton, OH.
- Lorson, K., & OAHPERD Benchmark Assessment Group Members. (2013, December). The OAHPERD benchmark assessment group & online professional development. Presented at the annual convention of the Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Sandusky, OH.
- Lorson, K., & Kramer, T. (2014, February). Using adventure based learning debriefing techniques in ELA. Presented at the Ohio Middle Level Association Annual Conference, Columbus, OH.
- Lorson, K., & Mitchell, S. (2014, April). Ohio’s physical education assessments: What we’ve learned from year one. Presented at the annual convention of the Society for Health and Physical Educators, St. Louis, MO.
- McMillen, S., Lorson, K., & Wright State Students. (2013, December). There is an app for that: using apps in physical education. Presented at the annual convention of the Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Sandusky, OH.