Department of Human Services

Graduate Counseling Program FAQs

Virtual Open House Presentation

View the content we recently presented at our Graduate Counseling Program Virtual Open House (PDF).

Get your questions answered about our graduate counseling programs.

  • Is this program online?

    The Addictions counseling program and the Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling (CRC) program are offered 100% online but there are face-to-face courses available as an option. The School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) programs offer online classes, but they are not fully online. Currently a little more than half of our courses can be completed online. There are classes that are only offered in person due to the nature of the content.

  • How much does it cost?

    You can find information on cost and financial aid at Graduate and Professional Tuition and Fees.

  • Do you offer any assistantships?

    A limited number of graduate assistantships are offered within the Department of Human Services (DHS) and throughout the university. We encourage students to apply for any graduate assistantship positions that are available. Please note that not all GA positions are listed in Handshake as the link mentions, but the application process is the same for all available positions.

  • Are there scholarships available?

    There is a graduate tuition scholarship program offered through the Graduate School.

  • How long does it take to complete the program?

    This largely depends on how many courses you decide to complete each semester. The School Counseling and CMHC are both 60 credit hour programs. The Addictions Counseling Program is a 63-credit hour program and the CRC program is 69 credits. For full time students, the programs take 2.5- 3.5 years to complete. Graduate students are encouraged to work closely with their faculty advisor to prevent delays in completion.

  • How many classes do students take each semester?

    The number of classes depends on the individual student and the load they are capable of taking each semester. Six credit hours is considered full time for graduate students at Wright State University. This is typically two courses in our programs. Students take more or less depending on their situation. Students are able to take different course loads each semester but should be mindful of how full-time vs part time status can affect scholarships and financial aid. The faculty advisor is your main resource for ensuring you are on track for program completion.


  • Can I complete this program if I am a FT teacher? (School Counseling Program)

    Yes. All graduate classes are scheduled outside of business hours and we have many wonderful students who are full-time teachers and other full-time employees. However, students who work full time as a classroom teacher have a very difficult time completing the 100 hour practicum and 600 hour internship experience in the school setting. Unless time will be allotted by the building administrator to complete practicum and internship hours during the contracted school day, this will be a challenge. This is something to consider before beginning the program. Full time teachers interested in applying for the program are encouraged to reach out to Dr. Neyland-Brown, school counseling program director, to discuss if this is feasible.

  • I work in the day, when are courses scheduled?

    All graduate classes are scheduled outside of business hours and we have many wonderful students who are full time teachers and other full time employees. Classes are scheduled in the evenings beginning as early as 4:40 p.m. and as late as 7:20 p.m. Each class meets once/week for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Online classes may be synchronous or asynchronous.

  • When are applications due?

    You can find this information under admission deadlines.

  • Do you have to take the GRE?

    Admission requirements are:

    • 2.7 cumulative minimum GPA or better, and GRE score of 291 (Q&V sections combined) or MAT scaled score of 403, OR
    • 3.3 cumulative minimum GPA (You do not have to take the GRE if you have a 3.3 cumulative minimum GPA)
  • Who should I contact about the program?

    Contact the program director of each program for more information:

    • Addictions Counseling: Dr. Mary Huber
    • Clinical Mental Health: Dr. Huma Bashir or Dr. Joshua Francis
    • Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling: Dr. Mary Huber
    • School Counseling: Dr. Neyland-Brown
  • What if I am interested in both the school and CMHC program?

    Dr. Neyland-Brown is dually licensed in both School Counseling and CMHC. She can help you explore the possibility of pursuing both licenses and whether this is a good fit for you.

  • Do I have to complete a thesis?

    View our graduation requirements.

    Graduate students in the CMHC, CRC, School Counseling and Addictions Counseling program are not required to complete a thesis. As part of program completion and to be eligible for graduation, Students are required to take and pass the appropriate licensure exam. If a student does not pass or does not take the exam before they graduate they will need to complete  the department comprehensive exam.

  • Are your programs accredited?

    All four programs are CACREP accredited programs. Find more information on accreditation.

  • What license will I apply for upon program completion?
  • Can I just apply for the Trauma Certificate Program?

    Anyone with a master’s degree and/or is pursing masters in any programs in the DHS and other related fields are eligible to apply for Trauma-Informed Counseling Certificate, e.g., licensed social worker, clinical psychologist school administrators, school personnel, and nursing.

    Please contact Dr. Huma Bashir or Dr. John Conteh for more information.

  • I already have a Master’s Degree, will any of my courses transfer?

    Per our accreditation standards, we currently only allow transfer coursework from other CACREP accredited counseling programs. Any transfer courses are at the discretion of the program. Please contact a program director for an appropriate review.  

  • I don’t live in Dayton. Can I complete the program from another city?

    Quite a few of our students commute from Columbus, Cincinnati, Lima, and parts of Indiana. Although we offer many online courses, students are required to come on campus for courses delivered in person.

  • If I plan on practicing in another state should I wait to take the required licensure for that state?

    All students are required to complete the department comprehensive exam or the appropriate exam for licensure in the state of Ohio as a graduation requirement. Most students opt to take the licensure exam. If you plan to practice in another state, you will want to explore licensure requirements for that state. Another state examination cannot be substituted for program completion.

Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Education and Human Services has to offer by visiting campus.