Program of Study
The Early Childhood Education program leads to the Bachelor of Science in Education degree with licensure. The degree program is designed so that students complete general education and content courses as freshman and sophomores and begin the Early Childhood program as juniors as members of a cohort group. The cohort portion of the program consists of three semesters of integrated coursework and field experiences and one semester of student teaching. Recommendation for licensure requires successful completion of the program and passing scores on required licensure examinations.
Upon successful completion of the licensure portion of the program and passing the appropriate licensure exams, candidates are eligible for an Ohio resident educator license Early Childhood (PK-3). Please consult with an advisor for current licensure test information.
Specific courses have been included to ensure that candidates develop theoretical and practical knowledge in humanities, mathematics and technology, social sciences, biological and physical sciences, the arts and personal health and fitness. Included also are the courses that incorporate multi-cultural and global perspectives in the general education requirements.
Persons pursuing a teacher licensure program are required to complete the Ohio Department of Education prescribed exams for their intended area of licensure.
Sue Gruber, Co-director
326 Allyn Hall
Anna Lyon, Ed.D., Co-director
Andy Baker, Program Coordinator
- 30 semester credit hours of college coursework
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5
- One of the following:
- ACT composite score of 22 or better
- SAT composite score of 1000 or better
- ETS Praxis Core exam
- Reading score of 156 or higher
- Writing score of 150 or higher
- Math score of 162 or higher
Apply to the University. You will be admitted to University College as a pre-major until you meet the criteria for acceptance into the major.
Current Wright State Students:
- Program application
- Writing sample – 250-500 words - Writing samples are held on Mondays at 2 pm and Tuesdays at 10 am. Visit this page for details regarding the Writing Sample.
Please call 937-775-3088 or 3086 to set up a writing sample appointment.
- Two Recommendation Form(s) (PDF)
- ETS Praxis Core scores (if required)
Successfully complete an interview with program faculty.