On this page:
These Generalist endorsements are designed for the middle school teacher who wants to expand his or her current teaching license to add additional content areas. A currently licensed middle level teacher can add content areas to his or her license by taking two additional courses in each subject area.
See the program checklist for these courses and speak with the program director before taking these courses.
Candidates seeking a Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement must hold a current Middle Childhood teaching license in two concentration areas (grades 4-9) OR be enrolled in the WSU Middle Childhood Graduate Program. Candidates who do not have a current teaching credential must complete the renewal requirements for a license prior to the granting of the endorsement.
There are four major components to obtaining an endorsement in the respective content area.
- Successful completion of the MC Generalist endorsement program of study,
- Successful completion of at least 75 hours of field experience related to the content area(s) being added,
- Submission of artifacts and reflections to an electronic portfolio,
- Passage of the appropriate Ohio state mandated test(s)
The holder of an Ohio Middle Childhood teaching credential may then add an endorsement in MC Generalist Social Studies, MC Generalist Language Arts, MC Generalist Mathematics and/or MC Generalist Science for grades 4-6.
For program specific questions:
Lee Welz, Program Director
329 Allyn Hall
- Current Ohio Middle Childhood Education license (grades 4-9) OR enrollment in WSU's Middle Childhood Graduate Program
- Endorsements cannot be added to alternative or supplemental licenses
- 2.7 Cumulative minimum undergraduate GPA