On this page:
Sports science is the study of the body’s response to exercise and physical activity. The field is comprised of various sub-disciplines including exercise physiology, biomechanics, motor behavior, and the psychology of physical activity. Sports scientists rely on scientific principles in the areas of biology, chemistry, and physics to advance their understanding of how the body responds to exercise and to advocate physical activity to prevent and treat chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
Benefits of Studying Sports Science at Wright State
Sports science classes at Wright State University are small, typically 25 students or less. Lectures and labs are taught by seasoned professors; not by graduate students. Faculty-directed student research is highly encouraged at Wright State University. Our program is one of only 43 nationally accredited programs in the country, and one of four in Ohio. We also boast a 92.7% student retention rate, a job placement rate of 86% after graduation and a 100% employer satisfaction rating!
Upon completion of the core courses, students will be prepared to take the following certifications:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health/Fitness Instructor exam
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer (ACSM-CPT) exam
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT) exam
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS) exam
All students are required to be certified by attending an American Red Cross (ARC) or American Heart Association (AHA) workshop (at the students' expense) in First aid and CPR certification.
Karen Wonders, Ph.D., F.A.C.S.M.
301 Nutter Center
- 30 semester credit hours of college coursework
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5
- Application deadline March 1
Apply to the University. You will be admitted to University College as a pre-major until you meet the criteria for acceptance into the major.
Applicants may be required to complete an interview with program faculty for admittance. These students will be notified if applicable.
Currently, sports scientists work and study in commercial, clinical, and workplace settings to increase health, fitness and quality of life of the general population. An entry-level career within the field of sports science may have a starting pay range of $25,000-35,000. Sports scientist employment opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Wellness program coordinator
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialist
- Cancer exercise specialist
- Group exercise instructor
- Biomechanist Exercise physiologist
- Corporate or recreational fitness director
- Certified personal trainer
- Certified strength & conditioning coach
- Exercise test technologist
- Sales or marketing of medical/fitness equipment
- Pharmaceuticals sales
- Geriatric recreational therapist
The following career paths are additional options for sport science students. These positions may require further training and/or education.
- Athletic trainer
- Dietitian or sports nutritionist
- Occupational or physical therapist
- Medical doctor or physician's asst.
- Nursing Researcher
Students are required to complete a 12-credit internship. Internship sites will include hospitals, wellness centers, health care facilities, corporate fitness facilities, spas, resorts and fitness centers. Internships will also be available with government agencies, nursing homes and community agencies.
The Sports Science program at Wright State University is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).We assure program quality through alignment to the national standards set forth by CAAHEP that prescribe the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities that programs should develop in future practitioners in the field of Sports Science. Some of our program highlights from 2015 include:
- 86% employment rate for graduates within one year of graduation (CAAHEP requires a minimum of 80%)
- 100% Employer Satisfaction rating (CAAHEP requires a minimum of 85%)
- 100% Graduate Satisfaction rating (CAAHEP requires a minimum of 85%)